Tuesday, November 17, 2009

AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY PAIRS OF SHOES: A WOMAN'S JOURNEY

Artists in Durango, CO are making art out of all kinds of shoes and recycled materials for a benefit fashion show and auction this coming weekend, November 21st and 22nd at the Strater Hotel. I have created a kimono-style garment from handmade paper from Thailand. Sumi ink-dipped tea bags hang on the back. Collage elements which include Japanese antique schoolbook fragments and gold Joss paper decorate the inside. Shodo (Japanese calligraphy) is featured on the front of the kimono and symbolizes "peace". The event supports the Alternative Horizons, a local non-profit that provides resources, services, and alternatives to victims/survivors of domestic violence.

Kimono


Kimono collage interior

3 comments:

layers said...

What a wonderful idea-- a paper kimono-- and lining it with papers from Japan-- I came home with a lot of papers myself.. I posted them on my blog and have been getting comments about how I should put them in a box, copy them, and use gloves when I touch them and so on... I like your use of them better.

nancy neva gagliano said...

it's a pleasure to see your ideas/ creations as you've put elements together...kimonos, boxes, bundles.
i found you as we share robyn's "tied with a string" posting on artpropelled...
as the circle widens.

Carol said...

I've been directed to your site by a friend who told me I would enjoy your work - and she was right. I've spent hours reading way back and I'm so impressed with your beautiful books and your wonderful imagination. I'll be subscribing so I can keep up with your work.