Tuesday, April 29, 2008

SWEETHEART OF THE ARTS DINNER & DANCE

This fundraising event on April 26th at the Durango Arts Center was held to honor me as an artist and contributor to the arts in the Durango community for over 25 years. An exhibition and silent auction of tribute artworks was also part of the evening...the artists having donated an original work of art with proceeds benefiting the Arts Center. It was an amazing exhibition by amazing artists: Judy Brey, Sandra Butler, Nancy Deacon, Ron Fundingsland, Deborah Gorton, Louise Grunewald, Chyako Hashimoto, Barbara Klema, Pat Lorenzen, Jules Masterjohn, Carol Martin, Maureen May, Mary Ellen Morrow, Mariah Mullins, Karen Pittman, Linda Robinson, and Carol Salomon. A lovely comemorative program was produced which included poems by my friends Katherine Leiner and Grace Cavalieri and images of my art over 40 years. The documentary film, "Seeing the Forest for the Trees: The Art of Mary Ellen Long" was also shown. Maureen May, my long time friend in art, gave a very touching tribute talk. Needless to say, I was humbled and very overwhelmed by this outpouring of love. The committee worked very hard to make this a memorable evening included Regina Hogan, Chair, Karen Thompson, Christina Ertezek, Linda Geer, J.M. Jones, Pat Lorenzen, Carol Ozaki, Diane Panelli, and Janice Weeks. I thank them all.
Program

Program page

Program page

Accepting my award

Husband Wendell and I beginning "The Dancing"!

No comments: